Astral Diamonds are a form of uncommon, sometimes time-gated, in-game Currency in Neverwinter. There are far fewer opportunities to acquire Astral Diamonds than Gold. Astral Diamonds cannot be directly traded between players, but it can be used as trading currency in the Auction House to buy or sell items.
Forms of Astral Diamonds
Astral Diamonds come in two forms.
- Regular Astral Diamonds, which are the proper currency form and can be spent
- Rough Astral Diamonds, which must be refined before they can be spent
There is a daily limit (100,000 per account) on how many Rough Astral Diamonds can be refined into Astral Diamonds; this is the mechanism by which the currency is time-gated.
Acquiring Rough Astral Diamonds
Rough Astral Diamonds can be acquired by the following means:
- 800-13000 rough astral diamonds are rewarded from dungeon chests.
- Rough Astral Diamonds can be obtained from random queues. This is the main and easiest way too get them
- The first Skirmish and Dungeon completed each day on a character earn bonus Rough Astral Diamonds.
- The wanderer's treasures insignia power gives you a chance to obtain rough astral diamonds when you kill an enemy (150 rough astral diamonds for level 70 foes)
- Rough Astral Diamonds were acquired through the invocation process (100-1000 rAD each time you invoke until your daily allotted invocation limit had been met).
- Through the Leadership profession (100-4000 rough diamonds per task). AD are no longer awarded for most Leadership tasks. Unfortunately this method is no longer available regardless of what the riches Info tells you.
Acquiring Astral Diamonds
Already Refined Astral Diamonds can be acquired by the following means:
- Selling items on the Auction House.
- Selling items from the Zen Store on the Auction House.
- Selling Zen on the Astral Diamond Exchange.
- Idols such as the [Jeweled Idol] given to Rhix (Acquired by spending Zen to open lockboxes) - 40k or 50k each depending on which lockbox.
Foundry authors may receive Astral Diamonds as tips from other players. Up to 500 Astral Diamonds may be given (optionally) each time a foundry mission is completed.
Spending Astral Diamonds
- Many vendors that sell items for Astral Diamonds can be found across the land such as the Wondrous Bazaar.
- Many of the items offered are not available for gold, and the items are often higher quality.
- Buying items on the Auction House.
- Buying Zen on the Astral Diamond Exchange.
- Advancing through the Campaign system.
- Certain crafting tasks in certain professions.
- Many many other convenience options cost AD.
- On May 19th, 2013 a group of players found a bug in which they could endlessly duplicate Astral Diamonds using the Auction House. The Neverwinter team responded quickly by disabling both the Auction House and the Zen-to-AD exchange. Since fixing the bug, many accounts were banned and a rollback took place to attempt to correct the incident.