A character class is a primary definition of what the player character can do in the Neverwinter. It originates from an origin source and defines what roles in combat will the character play. It also specifies the skills of the Player Character.
Classes rely on various power sources: Arcane (magic), Divine (power from a deity), Martial (one's own physical prowess) or Primal (power from nature spirits).
Every class has a defined primary role, and some have a secondary role: depending on class, a Player Character may have one of the three roles as its Primary role - though it will not stop the Player Character to chose the secondary role of its class when a certain level has been reached.
- DPS specialize in mobility and damage output. These combatants focus on disposing threats as quickly as possible by doing as much damage as they can, as quickly as they can, without enemies retaliating.
- Tanks take a lot of damage, mark targets and protect the rest of the party. If enemies they target try to attack another member of the party the tank will attack to stun, damage or taunt enemies to protect their companions.
- Healer powers support the party's success either by healing damage taken, preventing damage from being taken.
Information before module 16
- Defenders take a lot of damage, mark targets and protect the rest of the party. If enemies they target try to attack another member of the party the defender will attack to stun, damage or taunt enemies to protect their companions.
- Leaders are healers, buffers and debuffers. Their powers support the party's success either by healing damage taken, preventing damage from being taken or increasing the damage enemies take.
- Controllers influence fights by controlling either the field of battle or targets directly. Their role is to ensure threats are minimized or handled efficiently.
- Strikers specialize in mobility and damage output. These combatants focus on disposing threats as quickly as possible by doing as much damage as they can, as quickly as they can, without enemies retaliating.
Tank / DPS
Tank / DPS
Tank / Healer
Healer / DPS
Healer / DPS
- When you create a character, you will be invited to upgrade some characteristics of your character depending on your race. 2 characteristics will be "advised" as the most important ones for your class, but those may not have one of the higest values of all characteristics of your class.
Ability Scores and Stats
|Statistic||Effect of Ability Score on stat|
|Maximum Hit Points||0.5%|
|Physical Damage Boost||0.25%|
|Action Point Gain||0.25%|
|Magical Damage Boost||0.25%|
Information before module 21
Controller / Striker
Leader / Controller
Striker / Defender
Defender / Controller
Striker / Controller
Defender / Leader